Saturday, July 27, 2013

Swallowtail Shawl

Andi of My Sister's Knitter is hosting a KAL/CAL that is focused on encouraging the participants to finish WIPs by September 30th.  Anything that is cast on prior to August 1st counts as eligible.  And if the comradery of the group isn't enough to motivate, then there are also fabulous prizes!  :)  I recommend that you check it out and join up on Ravelry!

My first entry into the prize drawing is the Swallowtail shawl.  I cast on for this in February 2009, and finished it just the other day.  I can hardly believe that this baby has been on the needles for over 4 years!  Feels soo good to have it finished.

Swallowtail

I'm really not sure why this one took soo long.  I'd go through periods where focus on knitting this... lace  knitting for me is the perfect way to destress - I literally sit down in a quiet room away from all distractions and focus on the pattern.  But then, after a bit of attention, I would put it away and forget about it.  I was happy to have a nudge to pull this project out and finish it up.

Swallowtail

This colour is soo pretty and think that the subtle shifts in tone don't detract too much from the lace pattern.  If I had a do-over, I would have added more repeats of the leaf pattern.  The shaw is a reasonable size, but I would have preferred a little larger.  (I blocked this to it's max :))

Just finished blockingOn the blocking board

Details:
  • Pattern:  Swallowtail shawl by Evelyn A. Clark (available as a free ravelry download)
  • Yarn:  Curious Creek Fibers Meru, colorway is Emerald City
  • Needles:  US 3
  • Mods:  None

swallowtail, the beginningEmerald City

Hopefully this is the first of a couple of projects that I finish in the next couple of months.


What do you have on the needles?

Have a great weekend.
Sam
xxx

9 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like a fun group! I will have to see what I need to finish, that I could actually finish by September 30th. I think of a skirt that has lots of yardage left, and a top that needs to be completely ripped out :o/ But your finish is quite nice!

moleymakes said...

Oh this is beautiful. I love the colour it's just gorgeous. I have this in my queue. Seeing it has made me want to cast it on ..lol.

jody said...

beautiful! and i agree, the slight color variations don't detract at all - in fact, i think they add a little to the shawl.

Wens said...

Oh wow Sam! It's a beauty! So delicate looking and the colour is glorious. Amazing work :)

CathieJ said...

What a beautiful shawl. I can only hope to be able to knit something so beautiful someday.

Monica said...

Totally worth the four years wait! That is a seriously beautiful shawl. Did you know you used the perfect yarn for the project? ;-) Add that you already have an entry into Andi's KAL and consider yourself extra lucky! xoxo

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

This is a beautiful shawl! I love the color :)

Unknown said...

Your shawl is sooo gorgeous! The color is amazing!

Nicky said...

This is really, really beautiful!