Monday, June 18, 2012

Instant Gratification Projects

One of the things I love about sewing is the relative speed with which you can finish a project.  Of course it all depends on the project, but here are two that I was able to start and finish over the weekend. 

First up is a summer dress for Naomi. We recently went through her clothes to swap out the warmer weather gear for her summer clothes. There were a few things from last year that still fit well, but her wardrobe was drastically depleted. This gave me the nudge to pull something together for her. I found this free pattern for a reversible Itty Bitty dress.

Itty Bitty Reversible Dress

As you can see below, it is a not-so-itty bitty dress on my tiny little girl! I used the 2-3T size, which clearly stated that it runs closer to 3T. This works for me - I'm hoping to get 2 summer's wear out of the dress!  The pattern is fantastic - so very easy to follow.  And quick!  This beauty only took 3 hours to put together.

Checking out her flintstone feet

The fabric is The Monsterz, which I picked up at Fabricate last month. Such a fun print for a wee one.  And what a great feeling to be able to put it to great use. 

Good for twirling

Happy with her new dress Monsterz dress - back

The other project is a scarf that I'd made for my good friend Anita.  She was kind enough to check in on our home while we were off gallivanting on our hols!  Anita always looks so sophisticated and I wanted to create something that suited her style.  And so I created this glam scarf. 

Scarf for Anita

There's a story behind the fabric:  Joe and I were browsing around some local boutique stores recently.  I was a little sad to see that one of the stores that I liked was closing it's doors and selling off everything - fixtures, fittings, the lot.  One of the things that caught my eye was a pile of interior decorating fabric.  I was able to purchase a couple of their swatch booklets - one of which was for the Bella Notte line of luxury fabrics.  The swatches included velvets, silks, lace... and was such an interesting find.  I knew I'd be able to put it to good use.

Scarf for Anita

Wishing you a great week,
Sam xxx

2 comments:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Sooooo adorable!! Perfectly sweet little dress.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Naomi looks adorable! What a cute little summer dress :)

I'm sorry one of the stores you like is closing, but what a great find with the swatch booklets! The scarf looks fantastic.