Saturday, May 28, 2011

My First Quilt

I did it! I made my first quilt. It's going to be a playmat for my new nephew/niece who is expected to make his/her debut sometime in August, and goes with this diaper bag that I'd made a few weeks ago for my sis.

Finished!

I wanted something simple to start out with, and saw a great strip quilt that my friend Stacey had made. So I did a mini web search and found this great tutorial for how to put a strip quilt together. I followed these steps to piece together the top, and then referred to the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting (thanks for this gift Mum :) to figure out how to assemble, quilt and bind.

My first quilt

I chose a simple channel stitch for the quilting, after seeing this gorgeous inspiration piece. I love how it echoes the stripes in the quilt. The binding is double fold that is machine stitched to the front and then hand stitched using a ladder stitch to the back.

Stripey binding

I'm hooked! I have my fabric for my next quilt. And am eager to try my hand at doodle quilting. I fear the knitting may be neglected for a little while!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like youve been bitten by the quilting bug! Its a bit like pringles really, once you pop, you just can't stop! Its a beautiful quilt, and amazing for your first time! Check out those perfectly pointy corners, mine still dont look that good now :-)

marycatharine said...

Love it! Those colours and patterns are so bright and fun :)

Kim said...

Awesome job, Sam!! I love, love, love that skully fabric. Your sister(and her upcoming little one) is a lucky lady :)

I can't wait to see where your next quilting adventure takes you!

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Your quilt looks beautiful!! I love how it turned out. Your sister (and her baby) are very lucky!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! I can't believe it is your first one. What a lucky sister you have :)

Andi said...

Wow! That is amazing Sam. If that is your first quilt, then OMG watch out. Really wonderful job!

Yarny Days said...

This is beautiful! You quilters (yap, you are officially in that club) are so good at what you do.

Anonymous said...

hello Sam! that's a great quilt!!! I love the way you choose colors! And I think you've done a very good work in sewing it!!!

I send a big CIAO to you and your family from Italy!!!!