Saturday, February 07, 2009

Simple squares

This year I've made a promise to myself to get organized and take control of the clutter. I decided I may as well start with something fun -- organizing the yarn stash! I was inspired Stacey's reorg by colour scheme and thought I'd flat out copy that approach! ;)


The square cubbies were kindly donated by Nachaele when she left Colorado for Wisconsin last year, as was some of the yarn. (I believe you can pick these cubbies up at Target). Thank you Nachaele, I do love these yarn cubbies.

As I was tidying through the cubbies I came across a bunch of cotton odds and ends that I wanted to put to good use. I've seen a couple of cute Granny squares on Ravelry and decided this would be perfect. I'm not overly familiar with crochet, and so using Erica Knight's Simple Crochet as my guide I tried my hand at a couple of squares this week. They each have their flaws but I love them! And with practice they can only improve, right.



The other project that was unearthed was my Colorado blanket (or rather a mound of yarn to make a blanket!). You see beyond the shopping part of this jaunt, there really wasn't much progress in the knitting department! The biggest stumbling block I'm having is to figure out how to substitute my colours for those in the original pattern. I just need to sit down with a piece of paper and some felt tip pens and map it out, I think.


But in the mean time I started with a couple of neutral squares. Neutral they are, boring they are not with their silk and sequinned bling! Maybe I need to rename this the Diva blanket?

15 comments:

Sue said...

What a great yarn storage area you have. I love those white cubby holes. The crochet squares look great. The blanket looks wonderful in those colors too.

Bea said...

The blanket squares are excellent. I love the neutral ones. Also your cubbies are wonderful and I have to say Stacey sure has a lot of yarn.

Anonymous said...

Me? Jealous?

Denise said...

Oh gosh, I love your cubbies full of yarn, and Stacey's stash is seriously... well it looks like a yarn store all of it's own! My stash is seriously lacking, but I've told myself I enjoy just buying the yarn when I know what I want to knit with it rather than buy stuff I just put on my shelf and not know what to do with it. Still it would be nice to have some projects and yarn lined up like that ;-)
The blanket sounds lovely, wonder how long it will take you to do?

Stacey said...

I love it Sam! You can flat out copy me any time. :)

Anonymous said...

I love how organized it all looks! Lovely photos!

Susan Luni said...

Lovely squares, great photos!

Lisa Stepi said...

Those cubbies are great! And your Granny Squares are so pretty - now I want to make some:).

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are making good use of the cubbies! I sure miss them and plan to purchase more in the future! Love the color coordinating of your yarn!

The grannie squares are awesome! Great job!

I can't wait to see your Colorado Blanket! I think you are the only one that is following through with theirs. My yarn purchases turned into hats for my nieces, nephew and sister. :)

5elementknitr said...

I'm always envious of your amazing sense of color!

I'm also loving those bowls atop your cubbies - so pretty!

Anonymous said...

very pretty! i'd stare at the yarn a lot with these!

Anonymous said...

Your "stash" seems like a shop!!!
:-)
wow!!

I think also IKEA sells those wood squares.. nice thing to organize!

And I love your pics!!! How do you get this great effect of a polaroid???

Oiyi said...

I love how your stash looks! Just like a yarn store.

Courtney said...

I like your photos! They look like old Polaroids. How did you do that.
The cubbies are great, it is like your own LYS. Maybe when hubby is done with school and his 'office' becomes guest bedroom/crafting room I will copy you. My poor stash is all squished away in bags:(

Terri Lynn said...

You are ever so clever! I love your granny squares, too! You should join my group, Granny Squares on Ravelry! Your squares would be a great addition to our projects! The Colorado blanket is stunning!