Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Yarn, Durango

Stop #11 on the Colorado Yarn Store Tour was Yarn, Durango.


As we were in Durango the other weekend visiting nearby Mesa Verde, I took good advantage of the trip to spend a little time checking out the local yarn stores in the area (and en route).

The first stop was Yarn in Durango. This has to be one of the most stylish yarn stores I have ever visited. And it has a Tea Bar to boot! (That's right, what Brit isn't going to be happy with a yarn store that'll offer you a nice cuppa at the same time as you browse through the good stuff.)


It is located in the historic downtown area, in a beautiful location where you are greeted by sculptures, and then you turn the corner and see that colourful wall of yarn through the glass doors. Stunning.

The store stocks an abundance of Noro, including the new silk garden sock yarn. The Be Sweet products are stocked here too. There were also a lot of other brands that I like -- Lornas Laces, Manos, Mission Falls, Shibui. And some handspun yarns which I rarely see for sale in yarn stores.


I happened to visit when there was a trunk show for the Interweave Knits book 'Felt Forward'. I'm not big into felting but there were some cute projects including some felted table place settings. I might have to check the book out.

As for the yarn selection for the Colorado afghan, I opted for the Be Sweet Bamboo in a lovely olive colour. Yum!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That store looks so welcoming from the entranceway! The wall of yarns justsdraws you in!

Susan Luni said...

That looks like a large shop--Colorado has some gems!

Stacey said...

That makes me want to visit Durango...I've never been there before! :)

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

That looks like an awesome store!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty shop! And tea? Yum. I may just have to make a little trek down that way sometime soon. Durango is such a pretty town. I haven't been there since I started knitting.

WandaWoman said...

Wow, looks like a wonderful shop. I love that they have a tea bar, sweet!

Anonymous said...

That shops looks so inviting!

Corwink said...

That shop looks awesome! I will have to bribe Jeff to go there. He can go off roading and I can go shop.