Monday, December 10, 2007

Dad's Harley Davidson Socks

My Dad had asked me to make him some handknit socks last time I was home. When I asked what he was thinking about he said that he'd like some in Harley Davidson colours. Scout kindly dyed some yarn for me and I combined this with some plain black yarn to create these:


Pattern: My own concoction, top to toe
Size: Men's large
Yarn: Scout's Harley Davidson (custom dye) and Opal
Needles: Size 1 dpns
Started: October 2007
Finished: December 2007 (what can I say, I'm a slow sock knitter)

They did undergo the scissors this weekend before they were finally finished:


I am not patient. And so when it came to knitting the foot I was far too eager to finish. Consequently the first sock was going to be too small for him. Although I had a kind volunteer who was willing to adopt the socks (thanks Kelly), that would have left me in the position of having to knit another pair for my Dad. So I decided to knit the second sock larger and do some reconstruction on the first. This was the first time I had ever taken scissors to my knitting. Not to mention that in the background I had the encouraging words of my husband "you do know that's going to be a disaster, don't you?". ;o)

But I was victorious! And I'm happy to wash, block and ship them off to the UK this week!

PS - have you ever thought it a little odd that it's ok to 'model' handknit socks before you gift them? ;o)

4 comments:

tiennieknits said...

These are fantastic! Love them! Great job on modifying them too!

Corwink said...

HOORAY!! I'm sure your dad is going to LOVE them.

Bea said...

I think they are fantastic!

Terri Lynn said...

These are so cool! He's gotta love 'em! I miss you!