Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Portland, Oregon

Joe and I just returned from the most amazing weekend in Portland, Oregon. We'd gone to join in a friend's 50th celebration and decided to make a weekend of it.

The time in Portland reminded me of when I lived in Amsterdam -- there were the cobbled squares with the trams running through them; the street performers; the interesting characters; the museums; the cool shops, bars and restaurants. Oh yes, and there was the weather! ;o)

I also enjoyed some of the crafty hotspots. There's the Saturday market which features handmade items from a group of creative, talented artists. This was a great place to pick up unique and beautiful gifts. And also to get a bite from the International food vendors (yum!) This place, Limeys, made me smile. It is run by a bloke from Liverpool... not far from my hometown of Blackpool (small world). And yes we did get the 'cuppa tea'!

I also stumbled across Knit Purl (which just happened to be a couple of blocks from our hotel). Knit Purl is a gorgeous yarn store and the staff there couldn't have been more warm, inviting and helpful. There were so many beautiful yarns and accessories in this store... I splurged on Habu goodies. I've already been dreaming what I'll be going to make with these.

The hotel we stayed in was a feast for the eyes too -- the Hotel Monaco. I loved the bold decor. And that it was dog friendly :o) Next time maybe the B&B team can go with us!

1 comment:

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!

Your Habu goodies look great! Can't wait to see what you knit up with them :)